Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pedagogy and Andragogy

Today has been a very interesting, very interactive day - and I have to say that this program thus far is quite awesome and really superb.

We talked about learning and about both pedagogy and andragogy. Pedagogy is pretty much the type of teaching/learning that most of us experienced in K-12. The teacher teaches the students and there is not much in the way of interaction or choice on the part of the student. This is still the model most schools use except perhaps the Montessori model.

Andragogy consists of learning strategies focused on adults. It is often interpreted as the process of engaging adult learners with the structure of learning experience. Originally used by Alexander Kapp (a German educator) in 1833, andragogy was developed into a theory of adult education by the American educator Malcolm Knowles.

Knowles asserted that andragogy (Greek: "man-leading") should be distinguished from the more commonly used pedagogy (Greek: "child-leading").

Knowles' theory can be stated with four simple postulates:

1. Experience (including error provides the basis for learning activities (Foundation).
2. Adults need involvement in the planning and evaluation of their instruction (Self-concept and Motivation).
3. Adults are most interested in learning subjects having immediate relevance to their work and/or personal lives (Readiness).
4. Adult learning is problem-centered rather than content-oriented (Orientation).

The term has been used by some to allow discussion of contrast between self-directed and 'taught' education.

For adults (and I can certainly attest to this and be the poster-child), self-directed learning has truly been key in realizing my educational goals and of course, my willingness and desire to learn. It is what has taken me into my current journey to earn my Masters of Education.

In thinking down the road, I am also leaning towards getting an EdD as opposed to a PhD - but first things first.

Class was from 8:30 to 12:30 or so and it was filled with discussion, group work and also a bit of an informal lecture and information sharing from Canice.

Overall, I think we have a great group of people, interesting, diverse and nice people from all over the map.

After class, Jennifer (NJ), Jolene (MN) and I went to grab lunch at a local dive bar called the Chicken Box. We had drinks. ordered a pizza from across the way and had some great discussion and conversation.

Jennifer had to leave after lunch and so Jolene and I went into town, explored, shopped, ate and I also rented a bicycle for my two week stay here on Nantucket.

Jolene is a delight and I had a great time exploring downtown with her today.

We had a nice walk, talked and were both saturated with the humidity by the time we got back to the Gouin village. My rental bike had been delivered to my unit while we were meandering about and so it was waiting for me when I got back.

After a break we both headed to the Stop n' Shop to get some goodies so we could get back to play an adult variation of "Left Center Right" dice. A great, fun time provided courtesy of Judith, the program director.

I think it would be a great game to play with Les Hamatys as a whole group - especially Georgie and Andrea.

I feel like we all really meshed as a group today, had fun and certainly learned a lot about each other during the course of the day.

I am looking forward to tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! (^_^)